1. General workflow
Import functionality is located in Settings > Import & Export > Import from file. It is a three staged process, where you first prepare your data file and import it to Provet Cloud, then map all your data to Provet Cloud fields, and finally preview the data about to be created and start the importing. When beginning the import process, check the number of existing objects in your system and mark it down. It can be later used to make sure all data was imported correctly.
1.1 Preparing the datafile and uploading it to Provet Cloud
Settings > Import & Export > Import from file takes you to the Upload file view. Either drag your data file to “Drop file here to upload” area, or left click on that same area and select your datafile from there. If you want to use a file you have imported previously (for example, if you missed a field on your previous import), then instead choose a file from the “Existing file” dropdown list. Next you must choose the type of object you are importing (Provet Cloud model). When you have chosen a file and object type, click Next on lower right side of the view.
Notes on the accepted files
– Provet Importer only accepts files in the excel XLS format and XML format. The newer Excel XLSX format is not supported. If you have a file in XLSX format, please save it in XLS format by opening Excel > Save As > choose format as XLS.
– If you are importing in XML format, please make sure that the XML is formed in a correct fashion. Download our example XML file and study the format. XML files generated in Excel do not work since their composition is vastly different to our accepted format. If you are using Excel, always use the XLS format.
– The first row in the Excel file must contain column definitions. Do no leave any blank rows at the beginning of the file! The column definitions itself can contain spaces, numbers and letters. They should not contain any special characters. Please see the example files provided for more information.
– Data in Excel should only be stored in the first Excel sheet.
– In XML file format, field definitions should be identical across the whole document.
Limitations of the import process
– Generally the current importing function can process up to around 8000 data entries (8000 Clients for example) per imported file. If you have a bigger data set, you can divide the data into multiple files and import them one by one. Just remember to add the same header row at the beginning of each file.
There are following pages connected to this page: